I have been using AllTrails Colorado, which is an easier way to say, I have been using AllTrails to find awesome trails in Colorado for the past two years and I can’t say enough about how easy it is to find the perfect trail for my weekend getaway.
AllTrails advocates clinical research and adopts the policy of open research and is basically sharing information among its users to add to the great information they have to improve your outdoor experiences.
They have an extremely powerful site with probably millions of trails around the world and the AllTrails app is really easy to get around. I love the map view the best when I’m searching a particular area to see what trails are available close by.
Let Me Show You How It Works
I am planning another hiking trip into the Rocky Mountains this weekend and I need to find a new trail, that sounds interesting to me, is the right length and that isn’t to easy or to strenuous. So let’s walk through how my AllTrails Colorado trail finding adventure starts out, before I ever hit the trail. Here is a list of what I do and the order they are done in:
- Go to the AllTrails website or AllTrails App.
- I type in the name of area or city I will be hiking near.
- I actually will type in the name of the state or province to see the entire area.
- I like to go to the Map View, which is down the page a little.
- Next, zoom into the area of interest.
- Click on a trail pin that looks interesting to you.
- Look at the trail description, length and trail comments.
- Check out the photos by others who have hiked the trail.
- Keep looking for a trail that is right for you.
- If you upgrade to Pro, you can print the map or download it to your smartphone.
- Lastly, pack your gear and head out to the mountains (earlier is always better).
Let’s take a closer look at each of these steps now.
Go to the AllTrails Website or AllTrails App
Type in the name of the closest city, destination or type in the name of the trail if you already know it. I usually type in the state or province so I can see the trails in the entire area. Scroll down a little on the AllTrails website until you see the map. You can search for trails but I personally like to look on the map in the general area I am interested in and explore that way.
You are going to see a lot of blue pins show up and you will notice that many of them have numbers in the pin. Those numbers represent the number of trails in the area. Go ahead and zoom in closer and you will start to see the trails closer to their geographical location.
Zoom Into Your Area of Interest
Now you can really start to see the cities, roads, terrain, park boundaries and more. You will also see more detail as the pins are more spread out and you can start clicking on the pins to discover a trail that looks good.
I originally wanted to hike in a new state park in the middle of the screen above, called Staunton State Park and I found a trail that I really liked by checking out the trail information, however, I also noticed there was fee to enter the park and as I am really short on money this week, I decided to look a little more around the area to find a trail in the National Forest that was free.
I found exactly what I was looking for and the trail is called Tanglewood Trail and it is just northwest of Bailey, Colorado.
You can really see the details of the hike now. The plan view shows the route, the trail head and the destination. Right below the map view is a profile of the trail and the nice things is you can drag your cursor along the profile and see exactly where that is on the map.
On the left side of the screen you will notice a general description of the trail. In the photo you will see how other hikers have rated the trail and difficulty. This one is rated as HARD, but I’m okay with that. A little farther down you will see the trail length and elevation gain and whether it is a loop trail or out and back.
I always want to take a look at what other hikers have said or experienced before me on the trail, and here are a few of their comments and how it impressed me or caused me to look at a different trail.
The first review isn’t the greatest, but it’s nice to know they used the word “awesome” in their description.
The second review is more descriptive and I love that there are chipmunks in the area but one thing I don’t like to see is large areas of dead trees due to the beetles.
The third review really caught my attention with the hiker saying they would definitely hike this trail again. She describes some of the trail, and things along it and how there are some great views to be seen.
So, the next thing I went to are the hundreds of photos that were taken on the trail and you can see for yourself that there are definitely some great views on this trail.
This was enough to sell me on the trail I wanted to hike this weekend.
AllTrails Pro has some really nice features for only $29.99 per year and I believe you can pay monthly for $4.99 which is not much in my book for all the benefits I get from it.
You will be able to download maps, print them, download them to your smartphone and much more. One nice feature you will get is being able to download the route to your GPS navigator or your Emergency Satellite Messenger.
AllTrails has a list of 30 or more formats you can download, depending on your device.
Let me quickly show you a few pictures from the AllTrails App.
Here is an image of the Tanglewood Trail information. You can see it has the same information as the PC image above but you can’t see the map and profile yet which show up below the trail description.
Another thing I really like with the app is you can download any map layer you want to your smartphone before you leave for the trail so you will have access to the information, even if you cell service limits the amount of data you can download in the mountains.
My Final Thoughts on AllTrails Colorado
I have used AllTrails for many years, even when I lived in Oklahoma and only took occasional trips to Colorado and New Mexico but I have recently moved to Colorado and I use AllTrails several times each week as I look for new trails and plan my next adventure. I highly recommend you try AllTrails out. You will love how much information is there and how easy it is to use.
Please leave a Comment below or leave me an Email if you have a more in depth question.
If you would like some more information on Emergency Satellite Messengers, some with navigation, you can find that at my Emergency Radio Reviews page.
Return to Home Page
- Hardcover Book
- English (Publication Language)
- DK (Publisher)
- Routing. Receive map directions to a specific location. Never get lost again with GPS navigation.
- Bookmarks of places. Create and import/export from other maps for easy access anytime. KML/KMZ files are supported.
- Offline search. Locate everything you need on the maps and use it as a travel guide!
- Location-sharing. Let your friends and family know where you are! Send a pin of any place on the map via email or SMS.
- Auto-follow mode. When enabled, the map automatically orients itself to the direction you are moving.
- Arabic (Publication Language)
- JOIN US & SEE THE WORLD IN A NEW WAY - Are you a traveler? Does someone you know love traveling? We are travelers and we designed this Large Scratch Off Map (17 x 24”) for people like you. All capitals, states or countries were drawn by hand with unstoppable passion for a creative & free world. This Black & Gold Scratchable Map will not only allow to you to track your travels but also share your experiences with your friends. – Travel, Scratch & REMEMBER FOREVER!
- UNIQUE GIFT FOR THE LOVED ONES OR YOU – Everyone loves receiving awesome gifts and a scratch off map set is the perfect one. You can use it to elegantly decorate your room, office or even the pilot cabin! It’s never been easier to share your travel experiences with those around you and create engaging conversations. It even fits on the side of your backpack while traveling around the Europe! – Take Action, Push your Limits & Enjoy the Experience!
- THIS BUNDLE IS AN ONE-STOP SHOP FOR YOU – We love our country and selling just a world map just didn’t seem right. That’s why we went back in the studio and designed the COOLEST Scratch off Map of The Unites States of America (11 x 17”). The vibrant colors and clearly defined borders make every state special and easy to find. WAIT, that’s not all! Your package will also include: scratch tool, memory stickers to pin each new adventure and a magnifying strip so you can see the smallest details
- BE SURE YOU GET THE BEST QUALITY – We chose the highest quality glossy laminated paper to offer a product that will last AT LEAST until you travel all 195 countries! A thin foil protects the colors during scraping which gives you a nice & clear image of each place you’ve visited. NO map will ever arrive damaged considering our deluxe tube which protects your wall art 100% of the time. – We don’t cut corners!
- WORRY FREE & PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT: 100% Satisfaction or Money-Back Guarantee. INNOVATIVEMAP is renowned for World Class customer service and thousands of happy customers. Because we trust the quality of our products, if something ever happens with your Premium Scratch Off World Map, WE WILL CHANGE IT or REFUND IT immediately without any costs from your side.
- Big Picture Press
- Hardcover Book
- English (Publication Language)
- Big Picture Press (Publisher)
- 1. Highly detailed city map with more details than google maps
- 2. Road map with traffic informations (to avoid to get into a traffic jam)
- 3. Public transport map with train, bus and subway routes (find the station near to you)
- 4. Cycling map with bike routes with contour lines (good for your next cycling trip)
- 5. Walking map with trails (for your next tour)
- 6. Satellite view from google maps