Check out this video correction to one of my recent uploads about Garmin GPSMAP 67i Satellite Maps.
The Mistake I Made
I made the mistake of believing I could select a satellite image map from my Garmin GPSMAP 67i on one of my recent field tests.
That is not the case.
With the default maps that come with the GPSMAP 67, you can only select the following maps.
- TopoActive North America
- TopoActive Africa
- Topo Active Australia & New Zealand
- TopoActive China ML
- TopoActive Europe
- TopoActive Hong Kong & Macao
- TopoActive South America
- TopoActive Taiwan
- TopoActive THID
Your default maps will look something like this.
Download Your Satellite Maps Ahead of Time
One of the best things you can do is to download your satellite maps before your outdoor adventure, especially if you know exactly where you’re going.
The Garmin GPSMAP 66i used Birdseye View, but the new GPSMAP 67i uses the Garmin Outdoor Maps+.
You do NOT need an annual subscription to download satellite images.
I said in the video that you would need an annual subscription, but that is incorrect. All you need to do is:
- Select MAP MANAGER from the menu
- Select OUTDOOR MAPS+, then
- Select the area you want a satellite image of.
Lastly, Get Satellite Images with the Explore App
To me, this is one of the most convenient ways to view satellite imagery and the easiest way to create courses, however, as one person commented, not everyone wants to use their smartphone on an outdoor trip. If you don’t mind using your smartphone, then all you need to do is select the map icon at the top left of your smartphone screen and change your map to Satellite TopoActive.
Sometimes I need to see some satellite imagery, as it really helps me to navigate around or through an area.
I hope this helps you. Please leave a comment below if you have and questions, advice or tips.
Checkout the short YouTube video below about maps on the Garmin GPSMAP 67i.
- Large 3” sunlight-readable color display for easy viewing
- Enable two-way messaging and location tracking via the 100% global Iridium satellite network, and trigger an interactive SOS to Garmin Response℠, a 24/7 staffed emergency response coordination center (active subscription required; some jurisdictions regulate or prohibit the use of satellite communications devices)
- Access preloaded TopoActive mapping from Garmin, view satellite imagery, and navigate with multi-band GNSS support and sensors
- When paired with your compatible smartphone, you can access active weather forecasts and Geocaching Live
- Use with the Garmin Explore website or app on your compatible smartphone to help you plan trips and more
- Get access to a wide variety of premium mapping content delivered directly to your device via Wi-Fi technology with an Outdoor Maps+ subscription
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
Return to Home Page