The Garmin inReach navigation is incredible on my new inReach Mini.
I took it out on a trail near Castle Rock, Colorado to put it to the test.
Garmin inReach Navigation Setup
This time I made sure to check and see if the maps were loaded on the Garmin inReach Mini before heading to the trail.
There’s really not much to say about setting up the navigation but I’ll do my best to tell you.
During the Garmin inReach Mini setup process, I was instructed to install the Earthmate app. I had to sync the app to my phone and to the Garmin inReach Mini. After that, it was super easy…other than forgetting to download the free maps.
My first trip to Roaring Creek with the Garmin Mine wasn’t a complete success because I forgot to download the maps, but on this second hike, I had downloaded the maps and the rest is history.
You have the option to set some waypoints, so I set a point for trailhead and also for the end of the trail. It also gave me the option set a route on the trail so it would be easier to follow it on my hike.
Garmin inReach Navigation Field Test
I arrived at the Mitchell Creek Canyon Trail and turned on the inReach Mini, then made sure it was synced with my iPhone.
I checked to make sure the map was visible on my phone and headed down the trail. I came upon an incredible canyon and decided to create my first waypoint. It’s easy to select any point on the map, then rename the waypoint and select the icon you want.
I selected the camera icon, and later I setup another waypoint for a camp site, followed by a binocular waypoint and lastly my last waypoint as another camera icon as it overlooked a beautiful valley atop a rock bluff.
It’s amazing how easy it is to follow the trail and create waypoints within seconds. You should buy the Garmin inReach Mini and see how easy it is yourself.
Step by Step Waypoint Creation
Follow me in this step by step process to set up a waypoint on the Earthmate app, on my phone.
Select the location on your smartphone screen for you new waypoint.
Select “New Waypoint”
Edit the name of the new waypoint
Select the correct icon for the waypoint
Select “Done”, and your waypoint will be visible.
Garmin inReach Navigation Results
I finished the hike and returned home to take look at my map, waypoints, route and tracking and found everything to be accurate and as I had entered on the trail.
- Small, rugged, lightweight satellite communicator enables 2 way text messaging using the 100 percentage global Iridium network (satellite subscription required)
- Trigger an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center (satellite subscription required). Display size-0.9 x 0.9 inch
- Access downloadable maps, U.S. NOAA charts, color aerial imagery and more by using the free Garmin Earthmate app and compatible devices
- Optional inReach weather forecast service provides detailed updates directly to your inReach Mini or paired device, basic and premium weather packages available
- Send and receive inReach messages through compatible Garmin devices, including connected wearables and handhelds. Display resolution: 128 x 128 pixels
- NOTICE: Some jurisdictions regulate or prohibit the use of satellite communications devices. It is the responsibility of the user to know and follow all applicable laws in the jurisdictions where the device is intended to be used
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
You can learn more about the Garmin inReach Mini by checking out my Review HERE.
I have never found it so easy to navigate by with a satellite messenger before.
I thought being forced to sync my iPhone to have all the features that the Gamin inReach Explorer offers was going to be a problem, however, having the familiar iPhone interface and the large screen has been a real pleasure.
I’m now interested in how much I am going to like the Garmin inReach Explorer over my Garmin Mini. Stay tuned to hear what happens when my inReach Explorer arrives next month.
Take a look at this short YouTube video of the Garmin inReach Navigation.
Let me know what you think of the Garmin inReach Mini and the navigation features. Leave a Comment Below or send me an Email.
Return to Home Page