I have been researching emergency locator beacons for hiking and I know how important they are if you find yourself in a life threatening emergency. I have seen all the best emergency beacons and have compared them from price to function to reliability and more. It’s now time for me to make my decision. The decision is more urgent for me now as I currently live in Colorado by myself and am making many trips into the mountains on my own.
What’s Important to Me?
There are so many hiking emergency beacons to choose from with a variety of services and costs so I need to break this down to what’s important to me, personally.
Priority #1: SOS function for a life threatening emergency
Priority #2: Cost
These two priorities are at the top of my list right now as I have a lot of financial obligations but I still want the peace of mind for myself and my family, that I can be rescued if needed.
Let’s keep this short and not add an irritating commercial before I tell you what my choice is.
I chose the SPOT Gen3 due to:
- SOS emergency function
- 3 outgoing messages to choose from
- Size and weight
There are some other PLBs and Satellite Messengers I want to add to my pack in the future but for now, I think its smart for me to at least get a solid emergency option that I can afford.
- S. O. S. - in an emergency, send an S. O. S. With your GPS location to geos, who facilitates search and rescue
- Check in - let contacts know where you are and that you're okay with a pre-programmed message
- Help/spot S. O. V. - request help from your friends and family at your GPS location. OR, ask for help from professional assistance organizations
- Custom message- let contacts know where you are by sending a pre-programmed message with your GPS location
- Track- automatically send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using google maps
- Service agreement required.
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
I will add a new review this coming week after I receive the SPOT Gen3 and give you my personal opinion, as a Gen3 owner, and I will let you know how it travels on my next hiking adventure.
You can click HERE if you want more detailed information on the SPOT Gen3. You can also get more information on other emergency locator beacons from my “Which Locator Beacon is Right for Me” article and my “Emergency Radio Reviews” article.
I would love to hear your thoughts and comments. Please leave a COMMENT BELOW or send me an EMAIL.
Return to Home Page