Check out the Garmin inReach Mini 2 Navigation & TracBack field test.
I tested the navigation and TracBack two different ways today. In the first test, I created a course on my phone in the Explore App, then navigated with the phone. On the way back, I stopped navigating and selected TracBack on the inReach Mini 2. Lastly, I select navigation from my Mini 2 and navigated by selecting the course I created on the Explore App. Check out the results below, and there is a field test video at the bottom of the article.
Create Course & Navigate on the Explore App
My intent was to create a course on the Explore App and then initiate the navigation on the Mini 2, but I guess I got caught up in the video and actually selected GO from the Explore App, so this first test is all about Navigating from the Explore App on my phone.
Note: I was not able to see the course on my Mini 2 during this hike when I started navigating from the Explore App.
Check out these images below to see how I created the course and started navigating. First you start by selecting the (+) icon in the top left of the screen and then select CREATE COURSE. Next, you start placing points on the screen.
I kept placing waypoints to define my new course, and then re-named the course to something that made sense to me.
Finally, I was able to select GO and start navigating.
TracBack on the inReach Mini 2
After finishing most of my hike, I stopped navigating, but kept tracking on, and selected TracBack to take me back to my starting point.
Navigate on the Mini 2 with a Course
Once I had finished the TracBack to my starting point, I selected NAVIGATE, by my COURSE on the Mini 2 so I could see the difference from the Explore App.
You can see on this field test of the Garmin inReach Mini 2 the differences on navigating on the Garmin Explore App and on the Garmin inReach Mini 2.
My suggestion is to create your courses on the Explore App, but then start the navigation on the inReach Mini 2, so you can see your course and tracks on both devices.
You can learn more about the field test in the YouTube video below.
- Compact, lightweight satellite communicator enables two-way messaging and interactive SOS globally (Active satellite subscription required. Some jurisdictions regulate or prohibit the use of satellite communication devices.)
- Navigate back to where you started by using TracBack routing
- Share your location with loved ones back home at any time (active satellite subscription required) by using your MapShare page or with your coordinates embedded in your messages
- Get accurate heading information using the digital compass — even when you’re not moving
- Sync with the Garmin Explore app and website on your compatible smartphone for trip planning and topographical mapping, and create waypoints, courses, activities and collections you can sync to your device
- Pair with Garmin devices, such as wearables and handhelds, and use them to send and receive messages and trigger an SOS (active satellite subscription required)
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
Return to Home Page